Gas Safety Week 2017 – Get Your Gas Appliances Checked by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.
Gas Safety Week 2017 starts today and is a campaign I’m supporting. I experienced Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning over several months, and blogged about it at the time. It was a scary time especially as I didn’t know what was wrong and was putting it down to a nasty virus.
So. How could we let it happen?
Well, we didn’t ‘let’ it happen. There were things we didn’t think about, things we should have known. We know now, and fortunately, came out of it.
Things to be aware of:
• Put CO alarms in every room that has a gas/fossil fuelled appliance and position in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. CO alarms should meet the standard EN 50291.
• Recognise the symptoms of CO poisoning. Every morning I felt like I was hungover. I’d stagger up the road to catch my train for my daily commute, I felt so giddy. While the room didn’t spin, I didn’t feel like I was standing up straight or walking in a straight line. I thought I maybe had an ear infection. I didn’t go to the doctor about it because I was busy.
• Know when your Gas Safety Check is due. Use Stay Gas Safe to help you remember.
Our gas safety check happened on the 2nd April 2016. By then we had been suffering from CO poisoning for almost three months. I still can’t get my head around why I never realised that my family were suffering from this.
This year, Gas Safety Week aims to raise awareness to families on recognising the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning in their family members, especially young children after research has revealed that:
- A third (32%) of people would not recognise CO poisoning, misdiagnosing symptoms for other illnesses
- If suffering from CO poisoning, most people know to open the windows (68%), leave the house to get fresh air (74%), and contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to come and see if there’s a problem (42%)
- One in 10 (9%) don’t know CO poisoning symptoms at all. These symptoms which include headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness. They are often misdiagnosed as:
- Concussion (37%)
- Meningitis (36%)
- A panic attack (27%)
- A stroke (22%)
- Flu (19%)
Gas Safe Register is providing three tips to help keep families gas safe at home:
- Check appliances annually – an annual gas safety check reminder service can be found at www.StayGasSafe.co.uk. Currently only 54% people get annual gas checks.
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – although carbon monoxide (CO) has no smell, taste or colour, symptoms of poisoning include: headaches; dizziness; nausea; breathlessness; collapse and loss of consciousness – all of which can be mistaken for something else.
- Only employ a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer – you can find a local registered engineer to carry out gas work in your home by calling Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 or by visiting www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk
Gas Safety Week 2017 is taking place from 18 September.
Search #GSW17 on social media for more top tips on how to stay gas safe. To find out about dangers in your area visit www.StayGasSafe.co.uk and to find a Gas Safe registered engineer call 0800 408 5500 or visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk
We went to the ArcelorMittal Orbit on the day we found out, so we’ve decided to add a giveaway element to this post, with a very simple question.
Please see the Rafflecopter widget below.
The prize is a £100 Days Out voucher from BuyaGift.co.uk, and you can choose where to go. I will forward the winner to the PR company who are buying the voucher. This giveaway finishes on Sunday 25th September.
I received a fee for my time for this post for Gas Safety Week 2017.